SEATTLE PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS
Seattle Rideshare Accident Attorneys
Rideshare Accident Lawyers for Claims Throughout Washington
Rideshare accidents present a set of challenges that are unique from a typical car accident and the legal action that follows. If you’ve been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident in Seattle, you should start by securing the right legal counsel by your side. That's where our team of attorneys at Carpenter & Zuckerman comes in. Based in Seattle, we are committed to serving clients across Washington State and providing comprehensive legal support that eliminates the complexities of rideshare accident claims. When we are by your side and leading the way, you can rest and take care of yourself while we handle all aspects of the legal process from start to finish.
Get legal counsel for a Seattle rideshare accident claim today. Dial (425) 585-4009 to ask for a FREE case consultation.
How Do Rideshare Accidents Happen?
Rideshare accidents can occur due to a variety of factors and can involve multiple parties. Potential sources of liability in a rideshare accident may include the rideshare driver, the rideshare company that contracts the driver, another motorist involved in the accident, or even a third-party entity such as a vehicle manufacturer or a city municipality if poor road conditions contributed to the accident. When you hire our Seattle rideshare accident lawyers, part of our role will be to investigate the crash to figure out why it happened and which parties could be named as liable defendants.
Several forms of negligence can contribute to a rideshare accident, such as:
- Driver error: Driver mistakes are among the most common causes of rideshare accidents. Simple errors like speeding, reckless driving, or distracted driving (such as using a phone or GPS while driving) can be all it takes for a rideshare driver to cause a crash.
- Rideshare company negligence: If the rideshare company failed to conduct a thorough background check on its drivers, it could be held liable for any accidents caused by its drivers. There have also been arguments that Uber and Lyft require their drivers to be distracted behind the wheel because they must use a smartphone app while picking up and ferrying passengers, which could add to the companies’ liabilities.
- Third-party driver negligence: Another motorist's negligence, such as failing to yield the right of way or running a red light, can cause an accident involving a rideshare vehicle.
- Poor road conditions: Potholes, insufficient signage, or lack of proper lighting can contribute to an accident. In these situations, a government entity could potentially be held liable for failing to maintain safe road conditions, which will only add complications to the legal situations to follow.
Why are Rideshare Accident Claims Complicated?
Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft consider their drivers as independent contractors rather than employees. This distinction can complicate matters as the companies often attempt to deflect liability for accidents, arguing that they are simply intermediaries between passengers and these independent drivers.
Furthermore, Uber and Lyft each carry a $1 million liability policy, but this is often secondary to the driver's personal insurance. Understanding when each policy applies, and dealing with insurance companies that may attempt to minimize payouts, can be a challenging process if you aren’t represented by an attorney.
You also need to be aware that the statute of limitations in Washington state adds a time-sensitive element to a rideshare accident claim. In Washington, a lawsuit for personal injury must generally be filed within three years of the date of the accident. When filing against certain defendants – like a government entity – the statute of limitations can be even shorter, so you must not delay when seeking legal counsel.
What to Do After a Rideshare Accident
Seven steps to take after a rideshare accident in Washington are:
- Ensure safety: The first priority is to check if you and others involved in the accident are safe. If anyone needs medical help, call 911 immediately.
- Call the police: Regardless of the extent of the damages or injuries, it's important to report the accident to the police or the local sheriff’s department. Officers will document the accident, which can be crucial for your claim later on, and direct traffic away from the crash so no one else gets hurt.
- Document the scene: If possible, take photographs or videos of the accident scene, including all vehicles involved, any visible injuries, and any relevant road conditions or traffic signs. This evidence can be valuable in establishing what happened and who was at fault.
- Collect information: Gather as much information as you can about the rideshare driver, other drivers involved, and any witnesses. This information should include names, contact details, insurance information, and the rideshare driver's app status at the time of the accident.
- Inform the rideshare service: Report the accident to the rideshare company through their app or website. Both Uber and Lyft, for example, have procedures for reporting accidents that occur during a trip. You don’t need to go into details or opinions at this point, so try to stick to what you know objectively.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you don't feel injured immediately after the accident, it's advisable to seek medical attention. Some injuries may not be apparent right away, and a medical record can be important evidence in your claim.
- Consult an attorney: Once all other steps are completed, you should contact our Seattle rideshare accident lawyers. The sooner we can start on your case, the simpler it can be for us to find and use important pieces of evidence.
$3.7 Million Medical Malpractice
$13.9 Million Brain Injury
$2.1 Million Car Accident
Carpenter & Zuckerman is well-equipped to help injured drivers and riders with rideshare accident claims throughout Washington. We take pride in our ability to handle every aspect of a claim from start to finish, providing comprehensive legal support that never leaves you guessing or feeling forgotten. As a client, you can focus on your recovery without worrying about the complexities of pursuing justice and compensation.
Our attorneys at Carpenter & Zuckerman can help with:
- Case evaluation: To begin, we offer free initial consultations, so you can understand your rights and options without paying anything upfront.
- Investigation: We can conduct a thorough investigation into the rideshare accident, gather evidence, identify all liable parties, and build a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiations: Dealing with insurance companies can be a daunting task. Our attorneys can handle all communications and negotiations with insurance companies, so you don’t have to worry about being pressured to accept an undervalued settlement.
- Filing a lawsuit: If necessary, we can file a lawsuit for you. We will prepare all the necessary documents, represent you in court, and argue your case as if we were representing ourselves.
- Pursuing maximum compensation: Throughout the process, the ultimate goal is to secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries and losses, such as medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and more.
With Carpenter & Zuckerman handling your rideshare accident claim, you can rest assured that your case is in capable hands. You'll receive regular updates on the progress of your case, too, so you won’t be surprised as it develops. After all, that’s what we would expect if we were looking to hire a reliable lawyer.
Depth of Experience
- Will Uber or Lyft use an insurance policy to cover my losses?
Both Uber and Lyft have insurance policies in place that can cover losses after a rideshare accident. In some situations, up to $1,000,000 in coverage could be available to pay for the damages of a rideshare accident. However, you aren’t guaranteed anything from these policies, and rideshare companies often try to minimize what coverage is provided after a crash.
- Should I talk to Uber’s or Lyft’s insurance policy provider about the claim and compensation?
While it may seem logical to discuss your accident and potential claim with Uber's or Lyft's insurance provider, it's not recommended to do so without legal representation. Insurance companies are businesses aiming to minimize payouts, and their representatives are trained to gather information that could potentially limit or deny your claim. Therefore, you should let an experienced rideshare accident attorney from our firm handle all communications with the insurance company.
- Can I file a claim if I was a nonpaying passenger in a rideshare accident?
If you were a nonpaying passenger in a rideshare vehicle at the time of the accident, you still have the right to file a claim for damages. You don’t have to be the rideshare customer who paid for the service to have the right to seek compensation after a rideshare accident.
- How can liability be split in a rideshare accident claim?
Liability in a rideshare accident can be split in several ways, depending on the circumstances of the incident. The rideshare driver, the rideshare company, another motorist, or an automaker—or any combination of these parties—can be liable for the accident and the resulting damages.
At Carpenter & Zuckerman, we understand the intricacies and challenges of Seattle rideshare accident claims. Our dedicated legal team is ready to handle every part of your case, and we are committed to fighting for your rights and securing the compensation you deserve. When Uber or Lyft aren’t helping you get the compensation you deserve, you can depend on us to stand up to them. With more than $2 billion won for past clients, you know that we’ll be your toughest advocates.
We’re always ready to help rideshare accident clients in any part of Washington. Call (425) 585-4009 the moment you need legal counsel.
How much does it cost to hire an assault lawyer?We work on a contingency basis, meaning we charge a percentage of the overall compensation you are awarded. We will only charge you a fee if we successfully obtain compensation on your behalf.
What is the statute of limitations on assault?Cases of assault have varying statutes of limitations. The standard statute of limitations for assault is three years. In cases of sexual assault and rape, the statute of limitations is more complicated and varies from case to case. In some cases, there is no statute of limitations.
Do I need to be physically attacked to file a civil action?No. You can file a lawsuit if a person has made you reasonably fear for your safety.
How long do I have to file a birth injury lawsuit?You have either three years from the date that the injury was sustained or one year after you discovered your injury was caused by negligence, whichever is later.
What should I do if I suspect my baby has suffered a birth injury?You should get in touch with a doctor and schedule an examination as soon as possible. Once you know your baby is getting the care they need, we can schedule a consultation.
Are there any caps on the compensation I can receive in a birth injury case?There are not.
How long do I have to file a birth injury lawsuit?You have either three years from when the injury was sustained or one year from when you discovered that the injury could be attributed to medical negligence.
How do I file a cerebral palsy birth injury lawsuit?During your consultation, we will walk you through the steps you need to take to file a lawsuit.
During your consultation, we will walk you through the steps you need to take to file a lawsuit.Our lawyers always seek the maximum possible compensation for our clients. Determining a specific figure is difficult without the opinion of a medical professional or extensive analysis of medical records and case details.
How much does an Erb's palsy attorney cost?We work on a contingency basis, meaning we only collect a fee if we successfully recover compensation. We will collect a percentage of the compensation awarded to you.
How long do birth injury cases take to resolve?The time it takes to resolve a case like this depends on numerous factors. These cases can generally go on for several months to several years. Settling out of court tends to lead to faster resolutions.
What forms of damages can I recover in my Erb's palsy case?You may be entitled to economic and non-economic damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, and more. Once we know more about your case, we can provide a more specific answer.
How can I determine whether or not my child has HIE?Seek the help of a qualified medical professional and have them perform an examination.
How long do HIE cases take to resolve fully?The answer to this depends on a variety of factors. Typically, these cases can take anywhere from a couple of months to several years.
How much does a birth injury attorney cost?We work on a contingency basis, meaning that we collect a percentage of the compensation that you are awarded. If we cannot recover damages, we will not charge you for our services.
I think I have a case, but I am not sure. How should I proceed?We off a free initial case consultation to prospective clients. In that meeting, we will discuss your case and determine how to move forward.
What damages can I recover in my case?Depending on your case, you could be entitled to medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, and more.
What is the statute of limitations on cases like these?You have either three years from the date of the injury or one year from when the injury was attributed to negligence to file a claim or lawsuit.
Can a third party be responsible for my injuries in a car accident?Yes, if they are responsible for causing the accident. For example, if a defective part leads to an accident, you may be able to seek compensation from the part's manufacturer.
Can I seek property damages in my car accident case?Yes.
“Had an amazing experience after our vehicle accident.” - Former Client
“The staff took care of all my needs” - Crystal L.