ABOGADOS DE LESIONES PERSONALES DE SEATTLE
LESIONES DE NACIMIENTO
Vancouver Car Accident Lawyer
Helping Injured People in Vancouver, BC
If you or someone you love was involved in a car accident, you know how devastating these incidents can be. You may be facing a long road to recovery, and you may be unable to work and earn an income. You may also be facing extensive medical bills and other expenses.
At Carpenter & Zuckerman, our Vancouver car accident attorneys are here to help you fight for the full, fair recovery you are owed. We have been serving the Vancouver community for nearly 30 years, and we have a proven track record of success. Our team is prepared to help you navigate the legal process and maximize your entitled compensation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
A car accident, also known as a traffic collision or car crash, occurs when two or more vehicles collide or when a vehicle collides with a stationary object. Car accidents can result in various degrees of damage to the vehicles involved, as well as injuries or fatalities to the people inside the vehicles or pedestrians.
Common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted Driving: This is a leading cause of accidents and involves activities like texting, talking on the phone, eating, or other distractions that divert the driver's attention from the road.
- Speeding: Driving at speeds higher than the posted speed limits or too fast for road conditions can reduce the driver's reaction time and increase the severity of accidents.
- Impaired Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly impairs a driver's ability to operate a vehicle safely.
- Reckless Driving: Aggressive driving behaviors such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, or disregarding traffic signals can lead to accidents.
- Weather Conditions: Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, ice, fog, or strong winds can make roads slippery and decrease visibility, contributing to accidents.
- Running Red Lights and Stop Signs: Failure to obey traffic signals and signs can lead to collisions at intersections.
- Fatigue: Drowsy driving can impair a driver's reaction time and decision-making abilities, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, uneven road surfaces, and lack of proper signage can contribute to accidents.
- Vehicle Defects: Mechanical failures or defects in the vehicle, such as faulty brakes or tire blowouts, can lead to accidents.
- Inexperienced Drivers: Lack of experience or inadequate driver training can contribute to errors on the road.
British Columbia Car Accident Laws
British Columbia operates under a no-fault insurance system. This means that, regardless of who is at fault in an accident, each party's own insurance typically covers their medical expenses and certain other benefits.
ICBC is a government-run insurance provider that handles most of the auto insurance in the province. It provides basic insurance coverage for all drivers, and additional coverage can be purchased through ICBC or private insurance providers.
Injured parties may be eligible for compensation for medical expenses, rehabilitation, wage loss, and other benefits. The compensation is generally provided through the injured party's own insurance coverage, regardless of who caused the accident.
While basic insurance covers economic losses, individuals may also seek compensation for non-economic damages (pain and suffering, emotional distress) through the tort system if the injuries are severe. This involves suing the at-fault party.
What to Do After a Car Accident
After a car accident, it is important that you take certain steps to protect yourself and your right to recover compensation. Here are some tips on what to do after a car accident in Vancouver:
- Call 911: If you or someone else is injured, call 911 right away. Even if no one is injured, you should still call the police to report the accident. The police will create an accident report, which can be an important piece of evidence in your case.
- Seek Medical Attention: If you are injured, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. If you are not injured, you should still see a doctor within a day or two of the accident. Some injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and whiplash, may not be immediately apparent. Seeing a doctor will ensure that you receive the necessary treatment and that your injuries are properly documented.
- Exchange Information: After an accident, you should exchange information with the other driver(s) involved. This includes your name, contact information, and insurance information. You should also get the names and contact information of any passengers and witnesses.
- Document the Scene: If you are able, take pictures of the accident scene, including the damage to your vehicle and any visible injuries. You should also write down your recollection of the accident while it is still fresh in your mind.
- Report the Accident to Your Insurance Company: You should report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. However, you should avoid giving a recorded statement or accepting a settlement offer until you have spoken to an attorney.
- Call a Car Accident Lawyer: An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the maximum compensation you are owed. It is in your best interest to call a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Vancouver Help Me?
After a car accident, you may be wondering whether or not you need to hire a lawyer. While you are not legally required to have an attorney represent you, it is generally in your best interest to do so.
Here are a few reasons why:
- Investigation: An attorney can conduct a thorough investigation into the accident to determine who was at fault and what caused the crash. This may involve reviewing the police report, interviewing witnesses, and working with accident reconstruction experts.
- Evidence Collection: Your attorney can help you gather the necessary evidence to prove liability and damages. This may include medical records, employment records, and more.
- Valuing Your Claim: Your attorney can help you understand what your case is worth and what you can expect moving forward. They can also help you avoid accepting a lowball settlement offer.
- Negotiation: Your attorney can handle all negotiations with the insurance company and fight for the maximum compensation you are owed. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, your attorney can take your case to court.
- Peace of Mind: When you hire an attorney, you can have peace of mind knowing that a skilled legal professional is handling your case. This allows you to focus on your recovery and your family.
At Carpenter & Zuckerman, we understand how overwhelming it can be to deal with the aftermath of a car accident. We are here to help you navigate the legal process and fight for the full, fair recovery you are owed. Our Vancouver car accident lawyers have extensive experience handling all types of car accident claims, and we know what it takes to win. We are prepared to put our skills, resources, and knowledge to work for you.
$29.3 Million Daño Cerebral
$13.9 Million Brain Injury
$14.6 Million Commercial Vehicle
Depth of Experience
How much does it cost to hire an assault lawyer?We work on a contingency basis, meaning we charge a percentage of the overall compensation you are awarded. We will only charge you a fee if we successfully obtain compensation on your behalf.
What is the statute of limitations on assault?Cases of assault have varying statutes of limitations. The standard statute of limitations for assault is three years. In cases of sexual assault and rape, the statute of limitations is more complicated and varies from case to case. In some cases, there is no statute of limitations.
Do I need to be physically attacked to file a civil action?No. You can file a lawsuit if a person has made you reasonably fear for your safety.
How long do I have to file a birth injury lawsuit?You have either three years from the date that the injury was sustained or one year after you discovered your injury was caused by negligence, whichever is later.
What should I do if I suspect my baby has suffered a birth injury?You should get in touch with a doctor and schedule an examination as soon as possible. Once you know your baby is getting the care they need, we can schedule a consultation.
Are there any caps on the compensation I can receive in a birth injury case?There are not.
How long do I have to file a birth injury lawsuit?You have either three years from when the injury was sustained or one year from when you discovered that the injury could be attributed to medical negligence.
How do I file a cerebral palsy birth injury lawsuit?During your consultation, we will walk you through the steps you need to take to file a lawsuit.
During your consultation, we will walk you through the steps you need to take to file a lawsuit.Our lawyers always seek the maximum possible compensation for our clients. Determining a specific figure is difficult without the opinion of a medical professional or extensive analysis of medical records and case details.
How much does an Erb's palsy attorney cost?We work on a contingency basis, meaning we only collect a fee if we successfully recover compensation. We will collect a percentage of the compensation awarded to you.
How long do birth injury cases take to resolve?The time it takes to resolve a case like this depends on numerous factors. These cases can generally go on for several months to several years. Settling out of court tends to lead to faster resolutions.
What forms of damages can I recover in my Erb's palsy case?You may be entitled to economic and non-economic damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, and more. Once we know more about your case, we can provide a more specific answer.
How can I determine whether or not my child has HIE?Seek the help of a qualified medical professional and have them perform an examination.
How long do HIE cases take to resolve fully?The answer to this depends on a variety of factors. Typically, these cases can take anywhere from a couple of months to several years.
How much does a birth injury attorney cost?We work on a contingency basis, meaning that we collect a percentage of the compensation that you are awarded. If we cannot recover damages, we will not charge you for our services.
I think I have a case, but I am not sure. How should I proceed?We off a free initial case consultation to prospective clients. In that meeting, we will discuss your case and determine how to move forward.
What damages can I recover in my case?Depending on your case, you could be entitled to medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, and more.
What is the statute of limitations on cases like these?You have either three years from the date of the injury or one year from when the injury was attributed to negligence to file a claim or lawsuit.
Can a third party be responsible for my injuries in a car accident?Yes, if they are responsible for causing the accident. For example, if a defective part leads to an accident, you may be able to seek compensation from the part's manufacturer.
Can I seek property damages in my car accident case?Yes.
“They worked tremendously fast in settling my case” - Lupita E.
“The staff took care of all my needs” - Crystal L.